The Church of St Nicholas (Sankt Nicolai kyrka) in Simrishamn is mentioned for the first time in 1161.
Named by the saint protector of sailors, for almost a thousand years this church was protecting the good fate of ships and crews of Simrishamn´s port.
Sankt Nicolai kyrka was originally a chapel and has expanded through times.
The tower was added in the 15th century, and the delicately carved pulpit dates from 1626, assigned to Claus Clausen Billedsnider.
There are different ancient gravestones on the church floor.
Church walls are made of quartzite sandstone. In 1964, the church was thoroughly renovated.
Read more articles about Simrishamn
Read more about history in Österlen
back to home